Cassis was a very ancient fishing port and is an interesting village which was rebuilt on the old ruins in the 18th century, resulting in a more regular layout than most other medieval village. A walk through the old village streets will reveal some nice old buildings, some dating back to the 16th century, and some restored with the colorful pastels of Provence. Other sites in the village are old fountains and an open-air artist’s market. The harbor area is really the prettiest part of Cassis.
Although still a small fishing port. The little fishing boats now share the harbor with yachts and a collection of tourist boats for visiting the calanques. A fine old chateau-fort, the 1381 Chateaux de la Maison des Baux (privately owned), overlooks and dominates the harbor.
Beaches: Cassis has a fine sandy beach just outside the port, the Plage de la Grande Mer. The beaches, Plage du Corton and Plage de l’Arène are on the coast just to the south of the village. Just west of the port are the beaches La Plage du Bestouan and La Plage Bleue; in between is a huge sloping stone shelf, popular as a nudist beach.
Wine: Wine has been made around Cassis even before the Greeks arrived around 600 BC, and it has only improved since then. Cassis wine received the Appellation d’Origine Controlée in 1936 – the first in the region. The region produces red, rosé and white, with the white being most famous.