Since 1344 Visan had been a part of the Papal State and today is still a fortified stronghold flanked on both sides by hills. The winding streets show off fine village houses from the 17th and 18th centuries which still today are beautifully presented. The old village is accessed through old embossed stone rampart gates, the parish church of St. Martin has a 15th century portal, walnut doors carved in 1637 and a steeple dating back to the 16th century. At the highest part of the village, the castle ruins have an incredible view of the surrounding countryside.