On a rocky spur about 4 kms from apt, this pretty and serene village overlooks the Cavalon Valley to the north and the Claparèdes Plateau to the south.   A natural fortress town since Celto-Ligurian time,  the approach to Saignon from the direction of Apt is a dramatic introduction to this village which is built on towering rocks.

The village centers itself around three monuments –  the Romanesque Church of Notre Dame, the Clock Tower built in 1584, and the old Castle Chapel which blends in with the rock on which the village is built,  and which the village is very much identified with.  This hillside village can be explored only on foot and is surrounded by the fertile valley and plateau which is rich in agricultural activities.